'RuPaul's Drag Race' Power Rankings, Episode 9: Breast Foot Forward
We are getting down to the nitty gritty on season 10 of RuPaul's Drag Race, as six queens remain to vie for the title of America's Next Drag Superstar.
Last week saw The Vixen make her (not so dramatic) exit, so now we are down to 3 New York City queens (Miz Cracker, Aquaria, Monet X Change), and three others scattered across the United States (Asia O' Hara, Kameron Michaels, Eureka O'Hara).
I'm sort of equating season 10 to season 7, in that it's on the boring side of things for the most part, however something these two groups have in common is that they both had a strong top 6 in each. I don't think, as of right now, that there is a clear winner. For a while there I thought it was Eureka (and boy did you all let me have it about that force-fed situation), but last night's episode sort of made me think differently and right now its hard to really figure out who is on top as, spoiler alert, NO ONE WENT HOME!
The mini-challenge this week was figuring out which two models had the same pair of underwear on, and honestly, I don't know what they are feeding them in Los Angeles but you really can't have a booty competition without an actual BOOTY! 95 percent of their asses were flatter than Aquaria's sense of humor (shade, shade, shade all around.)
The maxi-challenge was television themed, as it was a spoof of the HBO show Westworld (full disclosure, I've never seen an episode of it), called Breast World. Overall, it was a pretty good showing from all the queens, with a couple of missteps that would've gone unnoticed had there been more of them there instead of just six.
Each week, we are doing a power ranking of who is on the top, the middle and the bottom. In last week's rankings, Eureka stayed at the top for a 3rd week in a row. Who will fall where this week?
1. Asia O'Hara (last week: #6). Asia needed that challenge to redeem herself from the middle of the pack realness that she's been serving lately (including a trip to the bottom two last week). Acting seems to be something that she excels in, and she was able to take a late in the game character in Breast World and make her shine over all her competitors. Also, the talk that Ru had with her in the werk room will more than likely propel her into the top 4 if not top 3, as you could tell it resonated with her to the point of tearing up. Good work, Asia.
2. Eureka (last week: #1). Eureka was in the top spot for me for the past three weeks, but she did falter during this week's episode both in the main challenge and the runway. I still don't think she is going anywhere. I don't think she is getting the "winners edit" (see above), but they have crafted such a storyline around her where I don't think she will be leaving anytime soon. I don't know though.
3. Monet X Change (last week: #2). What does she have to do to win a mother f***ing challenge around here? Monet was hilarious last night, and even though they read her for her runway look, I still thought it was fabulous as she played the part of her in 50 years really well. I struggle to wonder if she will ever win a challenge before the finale, but then again, if Trixie Mattel can make it through AS3 never winning anything and be crowned the champion in the end, then maybe Monet has something going for her.
4. Aquaria (last week: #5). This is where things get so confusing as I don't know where to place the other three. Aquaria was safe last night, primarily because of her runway look, and I get her mentality about wanting to win and having no problem saying it to the other girls, but I still struggle with the fact that she doesn't captivate me the way the other girls do.
5. Kameron Michaels (last week: #2). Kameron ended up in the bottom two, which was evident from the moment the rehearsing segment started. Her lip sync was incredible (a tad better than Eureka's IMHO), but I struggle with her the same way I struggle with Aquaria in that I don't know what else she can do at this point.
6. Miz Cracker (last week: #5). I don't want to put her at the bottom, but at this point, its where she is for me. Cracker is hilarious, and a phenomenal queen, but its not translating the way it should here. She was in the bottom 3 for a performance that felt forced, and I do wonder if she can muster anything left to really give her a win and prove why she's still in the competition.
This was created by one of our Contributing Writers and does not reflect the opinion of Instinct Magazine or the other Contributing Writers when it comes to this subject.