Will this calendar bring about the change Asian men need?
When Crazy Rich Asians was released in 2018, we hoped to see a change in how Hollywood and the general world saw Asian men. At the time, it seemed like we’d finally see media celebrating Asian men like they do with men of other ethnicities and races. But for the most part, things have stayed the same in the past two years. However, maybe Broadway could help push things along.
Unapologetically Asian has released a new calendar called the 2021 Broadway Asian Men or BAM! The calendar includes Broadway favorites like Marc delaCruz of Hamilton, Devin Ilaw of the Miss Saigon revival, Zachary Noah Piser of Dear Evan Hanson, and more.
The calendar hopes to challenge the stereotypes of masculinity and beauty projected around Asian men. In addition, all proceeds will go to Unapologetically Asian’s community programming and Send Chinatown Love, which hopes to help the New York City community during the coronavirus pandemic and afterward.
To create this calendar, Unapologetically Asian worked with The Broadway Diversity Project, Tremendous Communications, and New York performance photographer and actor Mari Uchida.
“With this calendar, I wanted to provide a space for people to celebrate the beauty and talent of Asian men,” Uchida said, according to NextShark. “After the challenges we’ve faced in 2020, I can’t think of a better way to usher in the new year.”
Each month of the calendar features a different Broadway star. The full list includes:
- Marc delaCruz(“Hamilton”)
- Zachary Noah Piser(“Dear Evan Hansen”)
- Devin Ilaw(“Miss Saigon” Revival)
- Billy Bustamante(“Miss Saigon” Revival)
- Marcus Shane(“Mean Girls” National Tour)
- Gen Parton-Shin(“RENT,” “Miss Saigon”)
- Jon Hoche(“King Kong on Broadway”)
- Al Guerzon(“Mama Mia!” “Ghost”)
- George Salazar(Broadway’s “Be More Chill,” “Spring Awakening”)
- Manu Narayan(“Bombay Dreams”)
- Kevin Schuering(“The King and I”)
- Vishal Vaidya(“Groundhog Day,” “Love Life”)
- David Huynh(“Vietgone,” “Henry VI”)
- David Park(“Red Roses,” “Green Gold”)
- Karl Josef Co(“The Unsinkable Molly Brown”)
Source: Next Shark,