Okay, now that I’ve got your attention. It’s Election Day!
Gus Kenworthy, like many other public figures, are making some pretty sexy statements on why you should vote!
But all sexiness aside–you need to get to the voting polls!
November 6th is the midterm election we have all been waiting for! Since the results of the Presidential election in 2016, a large cloud has lingered over the world and in the last two years it seems people are stepping up and speaking up for our rights—so that we aren’t stuck with the same outcomes that threaten our lives everyday!
The midterm elections occur halfway through a presidency are typically seen as a referendum on the current administration. The Midterms are completely different from state and local elections that happen every year.
It’s crucial that everyone show up to be counted. If Democrats see a House majority, there could be significant blocking of Trump administration programs and also incite impeachment proceedings against Trump according to The Guardian. This would still need a two-thirds majority in the Senate. With a Senate majority, Democrats would be able to halt Supreme Court and cabinet appointments.
If you haven’t joined the millions who have already voted early or with an absentee ballot, get yourself to the polls and exercise your right as an American citizen to make your voice be heard! If you don’t know where your polling place is, visit VOTE.org to find the location nearest you. And share with everyone so they don’t miss their chance.
So if you’re still not motivated to get up and vote…here’s what's at stake for the midtern elections:
- One third (35) of all seats in the U.S. Senate are up for election
- Thirty-six state governors will be elected, including three U.S. territory governorships. Republicans currently hold 26/36 governorships that are up for election
- All 435 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives are up for election
- More than 150 ballot measures nationwide
- Many local officials and city mayors will be elected
- With regard to the House of Representatives and the Senate:
- Republicans need 51 seats or more to control the Senate. Democrats will need to win all current seats, plus two more.
- 218 seats will secure a House majority, Democrats need to gain 23 seats to win the House majority.
And if you can’t walk or can’t get to the polls because of transportation, Billy Eichner shared that Lyft will be providing heavy discounts and some free rides to take you to vote! Billy Eichner has been a tremendous champion of the Midterm elections with this Glam Up the Midterms campaign where he teamed up with celebrities to promote voting as the most important event of the year.
Now if you don’t vote, you can’t complain. Vote as though your life depends on it–cuz it does!
Find your ELECTION DAY POLLING PLACES AND TIMES HERE!
Remember you have the right to vote! If anyone tries to stop you, call the Election Protection Hotline at 1-866-687-8683