Earlier this week it was announced that all charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped. The Empire actor was previously charged for disorderly conduct in allegedly orchestrating an attack that occurred in late January. Now, days later, Donald Trump has announced—via Twitter—that the FBI and Department of Justice will continue to investigate the Smollett case. So now he trusts the FBI!
FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2019
The Chicago Tribune reports that the FBI has already begun investigating the alleged letter that Smollett received containing a death threat. The letter came addressed to Smollett with child-like writing that said “MAGA” on the envelope. They took over the investigation because it involved the U.S. Postal Service. It is suspected to have come from Smollett himself—coming from suburban Bedford Park four days prior to arrival.
Prosecutors who dropped the charges did note that they could have found him guilty.
With regard to the FBI investigation, Smollett’s attorney, Tina Glandian, told Today:
We have nothing to be concerned about because there was nothing on our end to request this, to do anything improper, and to my knowledge, nothing improper was done.
But with everything that is going on in the world and inside our very own White House, why is Trump so concerned with Jussie Smollett?