The 2018 calendar year is ending, which means we have the holidays to look forward to, the ability to gain a couple of pounds and hide it in some bulky sweaters, and the inevitability of a new year beginning. Oh, and another season of RuPaul’s Drag Race starting.
Several RPDR fans got super excited this week when it was announced that they are doing a holiday spectacular that will air on VH1 in the beginning of December. Does this also mean that they will reveal when season 11 of RPDR will air in 2019… as well as All Stars 4? It seems like that might happen, but who knows as the schedule for both is still unknown.
Regardless of which show premieres first, we are in for another wild ride of Drag Race that will happen over the course of several months (just like it did in 2018). I am an avid watcher and lover of this show and have been following it since it began way back in 2009. Several elements of it has changed since then, but the core of what the Emmy-winning program is has remained the same: to discover the next big group of girls who will become global superstars.
There are 5 things I need to see happen for season 11 that will help make it that much more incredible. Take a look at what needs to happen in order for RPDR to score another Emmy next year.
1. LEARN TO SEW. A staple of RPDR revolves around at least one challenge per season where the queens have to create an outfit from scratch. Not knowing how to sew at this stage of the game should really require an easy disqualification as the eye rolls can be felt around the world when a later season queen (Naysha Lopez, Kandy Ho, etc) claims that they don’t know how to. NEXT!
2. No More Separation of Big and Skinny Girls. Weight is something that is often brought up on the show, especially when it comes to the girls that are deemed “big”. A couple of them have fought against the stereotype (Delta Work), some have used it for their comedic abilities (Eureka), and others have become fierce contenders for the crown for simply being talented (Ginger Minj, Kim Chi). The hope is that this is a non-discussion in the future and everyone who goes on Drag Race is seen as equal.
3. Edit Snatch Game Better. Snatch Game is the episode we all wait for every season. It’s the one that separates the front runners from the girls who will leave shortly, yet for the most part it is heavily edited down to where we barely see several of the queen’s answers. If this is such an important episode for the fans to see, why not make it 90 minutes so that we can get a better judgment of their impressions overall?
4. Fellow Drag Queen on the Panel? Am I the only one who realizes that the show has never had another drag queen on its panel since the beginning? This may be a RuPaul kind of decision, however it would be nice to have another opinion from a legendary queen like Coco Peru or Lady Bunny as opposed to the tragic and boring ones from other celebs who have already made an appearance (Vanessa Hudgens, anyone)?
5. Culinary challenge? There’s been so many acting and singing challenges that it makes me wonder why the show hasn’t done a culinary one yet. The puns would be amazing like, America’s Next Top Vers Bottom Drag Queen Chef or something.
This post was created by one of our Contributing Writers and does not reflect the opinion of Instinct Magazine or the other Contributing Writers when it comes to this subject.