This entire ordeal with Jussie Smollett has put people through the ringer. The confusion that it has caused in the media and the aggravation it has caused in Smollett and Empire fans are the things pop culture nightmares are made of.
Smollett posted bail this week after being charged with a felony for filing a fake police report when he claims he had been attacked and beaten by two unidentified men and had bleach poured on him and a rope tied around his neck. It was initially deemed a homophobic, racist hate crime as Smollett said his attackers shouted “This is MAGA country!” among other homophobic expletives.
During questioning, it was said that Smollett allegedly paid brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo $3,500 to stage the assault. The duo have worked as extras on Empire. Further investigation into the case makes authorities suspect Smollett was unhappy with his pay and staged the attack in desperation. The actor has been dropped from the remaining episodes of FOX’s hit show Empire.
Smollet is expected to return to court on March 14th.
In regard to the Osundairo brothers, they were released without charges after their arrest last month, but their attorney, Gloria Schmidt, has finally released a statement late Thursday night that demonstrates their remorse in taking part in the attack, according to CBS:
My clients have tremendous regret over their involvement in this situation, and they understand how it has impacted people across the nation, particularly minority communities and especially those who have been victims of hate crimes themselves.
Not much of a statement, but it is something, considering their involvement with Smollett could have ruined their lives.