Two men were assaulted outside Jacques’ Cabaret in central Boston early Saturday morning, the latest in a string of anti-LGBTQ attacks around the country this year.
As CBS Boston (WBZ) first reported, the attacks took place shortly after midnight Saturday.
The men involved, who asked to remain anonymous following the assault, described the attack as terrifying and said they would pursue hate-crime charges. (WBZ’s initial reports suggested three victims and an unknown number of assailants; Boston Magazine later reported two men were attacked by three assailants.)
A statement published in part by CBS Boston said a group of men approached the victims just outside the bar, quickly leading to a physical confrontation. According to the statement, “The group was shouting homophobic slurs while they punched and kicked one of the victims on the ground before putting him into a chokehold.”
Instinct previously reported other high-profile, hate-motivated crimes, including multiple arson attacks on a New York City bar earlier this year, as well as national statistics showing higher rates of anti-LGBTQ violence amid 2019 pride events. The last three years have seen a broad upward trend in anti-gay violence, a trend which has made headlines and raised concerns among advocates.
Just two months before Saturday’s attack, Boston hosted a highly controversial “Straight Pride” event. That march was both a disaster, with underwhelming turnout among supporters, as well as a flashpoint for violence — unsurprisingly, given the presence of avowed white supremacists among the “Pride” marchers.
The assailants involved in Saturday’s anti-gay assaults remain unknown and no further, more-detailed information on the suspects has been published so far.
Boston PD urged anyone with information regarding the incident to reach out.