Nielsen, which tracks the TV viewing habits of Americans, has shared its first set of weekly ratings for same-gender households and – no surprise – the gays love Game of Thrones and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
Last fall, Instinct reported that Nielsen had begun tracking the viewing habits of households with homes with same-gender couples. The heads of households were allowed to opt-in if their husband/wife/spouse were same-sex.
It’s worth noting that Nielsen isn’t currently tracking single LGBTQ viewers’ habits at this point.
The newly-released ratings (via The Hollywood Reporter) show we love us some NCAA Basketball Championships just like the rest of the country with 176,934 same-gender Nielsen families tuning in for the big game on CBS.
HBO’s Game of Thrones took the crown as our top-ranked cable show with 191,135 LGBTQ households checking in on the folks of Westeros.
Those results align with the rest of the country as the top watched programs last week.
It’s no surprise that the shows with the highest concentration of LGBTQ viewers were VH1’s RuPaul’s Drag Race (64,082 LGBTQ viewers) and its behind-the-scenes follow-up chat show Untucked (65,782 LGBTQ viewers). Interestingly, Untucked beat out its parent show by about 1,700 more gay viewers.
The Hollywood Reporter also shares that for the entire season ABC’s The Connors holds the number one spot on network TV for LGBTQ households.
The rest of the top five for the season are NBC’s Will & Grace, America’s Got Talent: The Champions, The Voice (Monday edition) and Sunday Night Football.
Via The Hollywood Reporter, here’s a list of the top 10 most-watched shows in primetime on broadcast and cable among same-gender family households for the week of April 8. The first figures are the LGBTQ same-gender households followed by the overall viewership numbers.
1. NCAA Men’s Championship (CBS), 176,934 (19.72 million)
2. Survivor (CBS), 120,921 (7.6 million)
3. NCIS (CBS), 116,498 (11.82 million)
4. 60 Minutes (CBS), 96,273 (8.72 million)
5. Modern Family (ABC), 95,180 (4.81 million)
6. The Voice (Monday) (NBC), 95,130 (7.62 million)
7. American Idol (Sunday) (ABC), 94,696 (7.26 million)
8. Grey’s Anatomy (ABC), 84,223 (6.82 million)
9. The Voice (Tuesday) (NBC), 81,510 (7.32 million)
10. The Goldbergs (ABC), 79,655 (4.64 million)
1. Game of Thrones (HBO), 191,135 (11.76 million)
2. The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC), 66,071 (2.55 million)
3. Untucked (VH1), 65,782 (405,989)
4. RuPaul’s Drag Race (VH1), 64,082 (402,516)
5. All In With Chris Hayes (MSNBC), 34,280 (1.57 million)
6. Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell (MSNBC), 33,344 (2.02 million)
7. Spring Baking Championship (Food Network), 27,858 (1.04 million)
8. The Curse of Oak Island (History), 26,502 (3.06 million)
9. Little People, Big World (TLC), 25,243 (1.34 million)
10. Gold Rush: Dave Turin’s Lost Mine (Discovery), 24,578 (1.33 million)
What do you think, readers? Are these your Top 10s?