We are nearing the halfway point of RuPaul's Drag Race, and as of now there isn't someone that we can officially call a clear winner yet. So many of these queens have spent time on the top and the bottom, with very little Bianca Del Rio/Bob the Drag Queen type of consistency that truly makes it anyone's ball game right now.
In my honest opinion, there hasn't been one queen who has separated themselves from the pack to call themselves a superstar. Not saying that this season has been lackluster, but with the exception of maybe one or two girls that are left, its hard to really figure out who can really take what they are doing now and propel themselves into superstardom.
Last night's episode saw the queens performing in groups of three and doing live DragCon panels, which is a really great idea. They were split into teams consisting of Hair (The Vixen, Blair St. Clair, Miz Cracker) , Face (Asia O'Hara, Monique Heart, Aquaria) and Body (Eureka, Monet X Change, Kameron Michaels). The Body team did the best, whereas the Face team was middle of the road and Hair was in the bottom, causing (SPOILER ALERT) Blair St. Clair to go home.
Each week, we are doing a power ranking of who is on the top, the middle and the bottom. In last week's rankings, I had Blair at number six after consistently having her towards the top. Now that she is out, which queens falls where as we are leading up to the most anticipated challenge of the season, Snatch Game?
1. Eureka (last week: #4). She's really stepped her game up over the past two episodes. Both were easy wins, as she is clearly able to command an audience. Eureka has presence, albeit an annoying presence at times, but her momentum is building and I have a hard time believing she will do badly in Snatch Game next week.
2. Kameron Michaels (last week: #7). I really give Kameron props for her ability to stand her ground against big personalities like Eureka and Monet. She really did a fabulous job at explaining why her body shape (muscle) is so important in the world of drag, and she's serving something we haven't seen on the show before.
3. Monet X Change (last week: #9). Monet needed to do well this challenge otherwise she would've went home. She excelled very well in both the DragCon panel and on the runway with her sickening Sunday church look that I may have to steal at some point. Keep this momentum going, girl.
4. Miz Cracker (last week: #1). I think Cracker just got stuck in a group that didn't gel with one another. She's hilarious, and this was a challenge where you didn't necessarily have to show that off as it was more about your personality and how you can perform in an arena like this in front of a big crowd. Get rid of all that shtick, and just be you. You have the talent. I'm also dying to see who she picks for Snatch Game!
5. Asia O' Hara (last week: #2). Asia is concerning me a bit, as she's fallen somewhat into the background over the past couple of episodes. I have no doubt that she will do well in Snatch Game given how she's performed in the comedic challenges so far, but it does worry me that her presence isn't as felt as it was in the beginning of this competition.
6. Monique Heart (last week: #6). She's safe again, and hasn't even come close to winning an actual challenge yet. However, humor is her strong point, so I hope she's able to finally get a W next week for Snatch Game. Otherwise, it may be the end of the road for her soon.
7. Aquaria (last week: #5). I have yet to see any reason why Aquaria should win this show. Her presence outside of the runway portion of the competition is very lackluster, and she didn't bring much to her DragCon panel last night. I don't know, I just don't see her being able to command a stage like some of the other queens above her in the long run. We will see though.
8. The Vixen (last week: #8). I'm going to be honest here: Blair won that lip sync. Just because you do a bunch of gymnastics all over the stage doesn't mean you should win. Blair stayed focus and relied on her face to really perform that song, whereas The Vixen, just like her outfits, have been all over the place. This is the second time where she's worn a bra and underwear and built off of that (she did it in episode 1), and she bombed during the DragCon panel. I just don't see where else we can go from here with her.
This was created by one of our Contributing Writers and does not reflect the opinion of Instinct Magazine or the other Contributing Writers when it comes to this subject.