In honor of May being International Masturbation Month (yes, it’s a real thing), sexual health and wellness company Tenga decided a survey was in order to ask the important questions about the practice of self-love - who, what, why and when?
One of the first things to jump out from the results was the fact that, globally speaking, gay and bi guys are 23% more likely to masturbate weekly than heterosexual folks. Duh - no surprise there…
And, 76% of gay/bisexual folks are open to chatting about masturbation as opposed to only 42% of heterosexuals. Double-duh...
Only 83% of heterosexuals admit to even indulging in self-love while 95% of LGBs are open about their intimate relationship with their hand.
More from the poll of 13,000 respondents aged 13-74 in 18 countries:
• 39% of Americans masturbate on at least a weekly basis. Only 39%?
• Men in general pleasure themselves 4.8 times a week. Only 4.8 times a week?
• Men who are 18-34 years old masturbate 5.3 times a week; 35-54 years old tend to masturbate an average of 3.8 times per week; and men 55+ masturbate an average of 4.4 times per week.
• Guys who are open to owning sex toys say they are more satisfied with the quality/frequency of masturbation vs. men who are not open (88% vs 62%).
• 55% of Americans don't talk about masturbation at all.
• Men are far more likely to masturbate than women - 92% to 76% respectively.
And the #NoShocker Award goes to: Men are much more likely than women to watch porn when they masturbate while women use their imagination.
Check out the full report fromÂ Tenga here.